The UOB Sustainable Bond Framework, launched in March 2021, governs the issuance of any debt instruments by UOB and our banking subsidiaries, reinforcing our capabilities in financing green and social projects that contribute to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
The Framework covers the following:
- green bonds to finance and/or to refinance eligible green assets;
- social bonds to finance and/or to refinance eligible social assets; or
- sustainability bonds to finance and/or to refinance a mix of eligible green assets and eligible social assets.
The use of proceeds from such bonds will go towards eligible loans to businesses/projects or UOB’s own eligible operating or capital expenditure in the below categories:
Sustainable Water and Wastewater Management
Pollution Prevention and Control
Circular Economy Adapted Products, Processes and Production Technologies
Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience
Sustainable Management of Living Natural Resources and Land Use
Access to Essential Services
The UOB Sustainable Bond Framework is in line with:
- The International Capital Market Association Green Bond Principles, Social Bond Principles and the Sustainability Bond Guidelines; and
- The ASEAN Green Bond Standards, Social Bond Standards and Sustainability Bond Standards.
Sustainalytics, an independent environmental, social and governance (ESG) and corporate governance research, ratings and analytics firm, provided the Second Party Opinion on the UOB Sustainable Bond Framework.